This summer we have made full use of our outdoor barbecue. Halfway through summer and I can officially say that we are burnt out on BBQ. So this week, I decided that we would have more vegetarian meals. I modified a Shrimp Curry recipe of mine and turned it into an Eggplant Curry. This is one of those dishes that is perfect to empty out your veggie tray in your fridge. Carrots, potatoes, squash, peas, spinach... anything goes.
This is a double recipe (or triple if you have a small family). Let's face it, making curry is a pain. If you are going to go through all the trouble, you might as well make extra to freeze for the future.
Spicy Vegetarian Curry
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- Fresh tomatoes, rough chopped to make 2 cups (you can use canned tomatoes if fresh aren't available)
- 3 green Serrano chiles, cut in half lengthwise (remove the seeds if you want less heat)
- 2-3 lbs of fresh vegetables. I used two pounds of eggplant. Cut each veggie into 1-in chunks and keep separate as each vegetable will need to be added at a different time (potatoes take longer than zucchini)
- 2 cans coconut milk (available on your ethnic foods aisle, typically with the Asian foods)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne (only if you want more heat)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups water (you can also use chicken broth)
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and saute until caramelized (this can take up to 30 minutes so be patient). Add the tomato, spices, and salt to onions. Cook until tomato is disintegrated (if it starts to stick, add a little water to de-glaze the pan). Add chiles, water, and 1 can of coconut milk. Add hard vegetables first (like potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, etc). Cover and cook over low heat until soft (10 minutes). Add next batch of soft veggies (like zucchini, eggplant). Cover and cook until soft. Add remaining can of coconut milk. Taste for seasoning (you may need to add more salt depending on how the types of vegetables you use). If adding frozen peas or fresh spinach, add now. Serve over hot steamed rice and garnish with chopped cilantro.Personally, I think that all curry tastes even better the next day (like spaghetti sauce).